Notary Public

Everything you need to know before contacting a Notary Public

Here are three facts you may not have known about a Notary Public:

  • A Notary Public is a person who is required when documents need to be notarised for overseas use.
  • Certification from a Justice of the Peace will normally only be satisfactory for documents used in Australia, hence the need for a Notary Public.
  • A Notary Public has to be a solicitor (and fulfil other requirements).

A JP’s authority is limited to Australia. A Notary Public, on the other hand, usually performs services in a professional, paid capacity, for documents intended for use overseas.

A Notary Public receives their authority from either the State’s Supreme Court or (in the case of Queensland), from an English Archbishop.

A notary’s primary role is to witness the signing of documents and contracts, administer oaths and verify copies of documents intended to be used overseas.

With the help of an Apostille or Authentication Stamp from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), a Notary Public signs and validates an international document.

Depending on the nature of the documents, contract or oath involved, you may require the services of a Notary Public.

If you’re in need of a WA JP (not a Notary), please visit this link.

If you require the services of WA Notary, please call Notary Public, John Hammond of Hammond Legal on (08) 6311 7080.

Level 2, 82 Beaufort Street
Perth, Western Australia 6000

Telephone: 08 6311 7080
Facsimile: 08 6311 7081